- Does not deny that it can be a Conservative force and oppressive and is well aware of hegemony but there are times when it has voiced those of the oppressed (championed them).
- He claimed that during different historical periods religions had emerged which expressed and supported the interests of oppressed classes.
- Religious beliefs could be popularised by proletarian intellectuals to encourage proletarian consciousness and liberation.
- Religion has the potential to be revolutionary.
- E.g.: Latin America, he accepts that up until recently, the Catholic Church tended to support the bourgeoisie and right-wing military dictatorships which represented its interests (largely by denying the existence of social conflicts between oppressive and oppressed classes). However, more recently, Catholic priests have increasingly demonstrated their autonomy (independence) from the bourgeoisie by criticising them and…