Weber: Modern world is characterised by a process of rationalization
- Reason replaced faith and the support which faith provides disappears.
- Rationalization leads to disillusionment -> Disenchantment -> the world becomes increasingly demystified.
- In the modern world, social relationships, particularly in bureaucratic settings become increasingly impersonal.
Berger: Agrees with Weber, but argued that there have been other changes to accompany rationalization, dissillusionment and disenchantment:
- High levels of social and geographical mobility
- Changes in patterns of social interaction.
- Combined with widespread exposure to all forms…