Total hours: 15 11.1/12.1
Unit Title: How do rocks provide building materials?
To Teaching approach including possible experiments/investigation opportunities
Usefulness of limestone and other building materials.
• Survey locally used building materials and famous buildings built from limestone.
• Test properties of limestone, cement, concrete and glass: strength, resistance to acid, resistance to thermal changes.
• Survey advantages and disadvantages of the respective materials, including cost/benefit. Simple tests involving hammer, heat and quench and dilute acids.
Elements and the periodic table.
• Compare properties of a selection of elements,
including appearance, electrical conductivity,
• Survey properties using periodic table, software or internet. Plot graphs of melting point against atomic number, density or atomic volume against atomic number.
-Wide selection of metal and non-metal elements, solid,
liquid and gas.
-Software for surveying the periodic table
Atomic structure,elements and their reaction to form compounds.
• Brief explanation of size and structure of atoms and Geiger Marsden experiment, using snooker analogy.