UK migration to the Costa del Sol
Why and who?
- 60% of migrants moving to Spain from the UK are over 45; mostly heading for "Urbanicions" on the Costa de Sol and the Costa Blanca. For example, La Marina in Alicante has an 80% foreign population, mostly British. By 2050, 3 million pensioners would have left the UK (1 in 5)
PUSH from the UK:
- High cost of living, especially in cities such as London: for example, escalating house prices (average London property is over £500,000)
- Crime perception increasing
- "Youth culture"
PULL to Spain:
- Climate - it is on average 10oC warmer
- Scenery and classic white sandy beaches
- Low prices for accomodation (retirement money goes further)
- Beach facilities and "holiday feel"
- Ulitity bills 60% lower