Group 1/alkali metals
In group 1 as you go down the group:
- The more reactive the element
- The lower its boiling and melting point.
The elements in group 1:
- are metals with a low density (first three less dense than water)
- react with non-metals to form ionic compounds where metal ion carries charge of +1 (lost electron) The compounds are white solids that dissolve in water to form colourless solutions.
- React with water to release hydrogen
- React with water to form hydroxides that dissolve in water to give alkaline solutions.
Compared with group 1 the transition elements:
- Higher melting…