- The treaty of versailles was the peace settlement signed after World War One had ended.
- It was signed at the vast Versailles Palace near Paris.
- The three most important politicians there were David Lloyd George, Georges Clemenceau and Woodrow Wilson.
- Many wanted Germany now led by Fredrich Ebert, smashed - others like Lloyd George, were privately more cautious.
- World War One had left Europe devastated. Those countries that had suffered casualties never experienced before.
- The total deaths of al nations who fought in the war is thought to have been 8.5 million with 21 million being wounded.
- Alongside these stastics was the fact that vast areas of north-easten Europe had been reduced to rubble.