What is a Transgender op?
Changing the physical self of a person (male-female or female-male) through surgery and drugs.
- Expensive to have done
- Legal and ethical problems after you have had it done.
Legally- you are the gender which your birth certificate says. Legal aspects leave transexuals in limbo e.g. assests and civil partners.
Describing: What Circumstances?
- +Adult feels psychologically that they are trapped in the wrong body. Done for Psychological Purposes.
- +Children with indetermainate sex e.g.g. hermaphroditism have it done. Biological Purpose.
- + Biologically needed to prevent psychological problems e.g. David Riemer
- +Operations done due to accidents (David Riemer) and trauma (micropenis)
- Misassignment such as androgenital syndrome could be tested for before sex assignment to see if they have been misassigned for clear biological reasons rather than psychologically feeling misassigned.
Describing: Ethical Issues:
- -Children cannot give confirmed consent but hard to raise a child neutrally until they…