- Tourism - any recreational or leisure time activity which involves overnight abcense from the normal place.
- Tourists - people who engage in tourism
- Tertiary - the service sector of the economy
- Attraction - a place which draws visitors because of intrests
- Butler model - a model which shows how any tourists resort may grow
- Mass tourism - large numbers of tourists coming to one destination
- Eco tourism - eco friendly tourism
- Sustainibility - development that meets the needs of local people as well as making an enjoyable holiday for tourists.
Reasons for global growth in tourism:
- Increase in car ownership
- Increase in leisure time(longer time off work)
- Greater wealth(larger incomes)
- Better transport
- Easier to book online
- More holiday packages
The Butler Model
This shows how any resort may grow and develop.
Exploration - a small number of tourists visit the area. The area is unspoilt and few tourist facilities exist.
Involvement - local people start to provide some facilities for tourists. There starts to become a recognised tourist season.