- Marriage could be considered as being in crisis due to the high divorce rates, cohabitation, illegitimacy and single parent families.
Marriage & Civil Partnerships:
- There has been a significant decline in marriages, in 2011 the number of marriages was the lowest recorded number for a 100 years.
- The number of first marriages in England and Wales has fallen to 60% in 2006.
- Remarriages rose from the 1950's and then levelled off. In 2005, remarriages accounted for 40% of all marriages.
- The average age for people to get married has risen from 24 to 32 years old for males and from 22 to 30 years old for females.
- There are class differences in age of marriage, with the working class tending to marry at a younger age in contrast to the middle-class.
Reasons for the decline in the popularity of marriage:
There are 2 main reasons for the decline in the popularity of marriages, these are:
1.) A replacement of marriage cohabitation
2.) A rise in people living alone and…