To what extent was Germany a parliamentary democracy in the years 1900-1914?
Part a) essay prep:
Intro- To some extent, Germany was a Parliamentary democracy in the years 1900-1914 as evidenced by Suffrage for all men aged 25 and over, on top of Germany having the largest trade union movement in Europe. However, the constitutional powers of the Kaiser and the fact that the Army did not have to answer to anyone but the Kaiser suggests that there were elements of Germany being an Entrenched Autocracy.
Para 1: Parliamentary democracy- Democratic elements of the constitution
- All men aged 25 and over could vote
- The Govt. had to respond to public opinion
- The Chancellor had to negotiate with the Reichstag to pass legislation
Para 2: Entenched autocracy- Constitutional powers of the Kaiser
- The Kaiser was commander-in-chief of the Army
- Appointed/dismissed the Chancellor…