- Created by: mollie_simone6
- Created on: 22-01-18 20:00
Freeing Nelson Mandela and unbanning political parties
ANC committed to negotiations- whites no longer supported apartheid and sought future security
- legitimate alterntive for future
Negotiatons and dismantling Apartheid
Whites- believed they would divide on ethnic lines, loyalties were tribal
Suspocion between NP and ANC- pop reg act revoked
CODESA- crucial milestone in the path to full democracy.
- Deals were made to ensure a nationally unified government was established after the election
- Started badly- hostility between Mandela and de Klerk
- De Klerk spoke of sensitive issues- condemned ANC for: failing to disband MK, commitment to violence (look good to white audience and western powers)
Mandela's biography- government maintaining violence and conflict
What were the agreements?
1. single undivided country
2. multi party democracy- w/ nonracial franchise
3. bill of rights
4. seperation of powers
What were the issues?
- wanted veto over constitutional proposals- 75% majority, power sharing rather than transfer of power which would go straight to ANC
- establish Zulu king
- wanted strong federal system- homeland and minorities support, Democratic Party against as it would limiti centralised power
- afrikner right explored idea of racially based federalism but ANC opposed
What happened as a result?