- unpredictable, enjambement, irregular, sounds regretful, about the past - love that went wrong.
- WILD swans - more free than him.
"The trees are in their autumn beauty"
- autumn - represents things that are coming to an end - everything is dying in autumn - something is ended but just about to start - time of change.
- both routined in autumn - he comes and they go.
"Under the October twilight the water - Mirrors a still sky"
- twilight = colourful, beautiful and romantic - in between day and night - uncertain.
- rhythm breaks up on "Mirrors a still sky" - shorter line
"The nineteenth autumn has come upon me - Since I first made my count"
- time moving too quickly - life has flown by
- "come upon me" - sounds like it has come suddenly - suprised him.
- sounds regretful - misses childhood/past - holding on to the past.
- he has changed and got older but surroundings, including swans, haven't.
"I saw, before I had well finished"
- not read to move on - stuck in the past.
"All suddenly mount - And scatter wheeling in great broken wings - Upon their clamourous wings"