- Created by: thecatwithnohat
- Created on: 22-03-13 21:02
The treaty of Versailles
The aims of the Big 3
Lloyd George's aims:
- A "just" peace that would be tough enough to please the electors who "wanted Germany to pay" but leave Germany strong enough to trade.
- Land for Britain's empire
- To safeguard Britain's naval supremacy
Woodrow Wilson's aims:
- To end war by creating a League of Nations- based on Wilson's 14 points
- To ensure that Germany was not destroyed
- To not blame Germany for the war - he hated the guilt clause
- Revenge and punish Germany
- To return Alsace-Lorraine to France
- No league of Nations (LoN)
- Independent Rhineland
- Huge reperations
- To weaken Germany (army) so that Germany will never be strong enough to attack France again
Armistice - An agreement made by opposing sides in a war to stop fighting for a certain time (i.e. a truce).
The Armistice of 11th November 1918 was greeted with great joy. Europeans wanted lasting peace and to make Germany pay for the damage done (+ revenge).
The Germans expected that the peace treaty would be based on Wilson's 14 points. The six key examples were:
- Setting up a LoNs
- Self determination…