The Stresemann Years
Stresemann - Chancellor 1923 (100 days)
1. Decline of Extreme Left & Right
- Extremist parties lost ground in elections of 1924 & 1928.
- They polled less than 30% of the vote.
- DNVP peaked in 1924 with 103 seats, fell to 73 in 1928.
- NSDAP won only 12 seats in 1928.
- KPD in 1924 won 62 seats but in 1928 gained 54.
2. Rise of Parties loyal to Republic
- SPD made substantial gains - in 1928 they won 153 seats.
- The coalition government formed as a result of the 1928 election, it was named the 'Grand Coalition': SPD, DDP, DVP and the Centre Party had over 60% of Reichstag seats.
3. Basic weaknesses still remained
- 1928 election was…