The Second Coming = Jesus' return and the bringing of the kingdom - sounds good - it is the opposite.
"Turning and turning in the widening gyre - The falcon cannot hear the falconer;"
- present tense = slower and repetition of "turning" and use of "and".
- and = more sinister.
- gyre - believed that history comes round in circles - 2000 years after birth of Jesus peaceful time will turn to anarchy.
- the falcon won't come back to him - God - can't hear him anymore or we don't pay attention to him.
"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; - Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,"
- caesura = escalating quickly.
- time of anarchy has come around.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere - The ceremony of innocence is drowned;"
- blood dimmed time = Moses or Noah
- crossing the red sea - blood red from drowning the Egyptians
- drowned all except two of each animal.
- ceremony of innocence = baptism - babies being drowned - massacre of the innocence.
- blood red but only the innocent are drowned.
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst - Are full of passionate intensity."
- not his normal view - except for in extreme politics.
"Surely some revelation is at hand; - Surely the Second Coming is at hand."
- sounds at first like God is going to come to save them all.
- but really the devil is coming - a beast - anarchy.