The Second Coming.
- Was published in 1920 and written in 1919
- Themes: disorder and chaos, upheaval , and apocalyptic visions.
- Yeats shows his dispears about society
- Shows yeats belief that the world is devided in to GYRES
- Shows the second coming of the anti christ not christ like everyone expected.
- Shows how new starts arent always good.
- Yeats believed he was a channel, and the poem was written by spirites through him
- Looks at how history will repeat its self continually if we dont change something
- Poem starts out focused and regular.
- lots of reference to circles and cycles.
Line by line.
- 1) Repitition ( a major feature in this poem) adds to sense of fate,doom,inveitiability and the apocalypse - that you cant escape.
- 3x"ings" gives the sense of spiralling out of control ( as if in a gyre)
- 2) reference to birds - he sees them as symbols of freedom
- a falcon= is trained to obey commands and tent to circle their prey
- Society has got so caught up in our own world we dont listen to the moral voice and spiritual values.
- The semi collon sets a scene
- 3) we have gone too far away from out belief systems ( the circle of the gyre is getting wider)
- "cannot "is repeated things are going to break down as things spiral out of control!
- 4) "mere" makes "anarchy" sound trivial which is juxtaposition
- "loosed shows the structure…