- Created by: Rebecca Gallacher
- Created on: 21-05-14 19:14
HOW KENNEDY HELPED BLACKS:
- Symbolic gestures:
- Gave the impression that he was committed to racial equality.
- Invited more blacks to the White House that ever before.
- Kennedy said the Red Skins could no longer use it's federally supported stadium for refusing black players - the team then signed 3 black players.
- Equal employment opportunity commission:
- Ensured equal employment opportunities for federal employees and in companies that had contracts with the government.
- Convinced companies to employ more black people.
- Justice department:
- Brought 57 suits against illegal violations of black voting rights in the south compared to Eisenhower who brought 8.
- Threatened Louisiana officials with court sentences for denying funds to newly desegregated schools.
- Put pressure on the civil service to employ blacks.
- Appointed 40 blacks to top posts eg. associate White House press secretary.
- Chose 5 black federal judges.
- Promised in his presidential election campaign that discrimination in housing could be ended as and when he thought would be best - he did nothing.
- Thought that if he pushed the legislation, Congress would reject other important legislations.
- Introduces a half-heated measure…