Marxism is a conflict view that seessociety based on class divisions and exploitation.
Althuser the ideological state apparatus
- Repressive state appartus: Uses force to repress the working class via the police, courts, army to keep capitalists in power.
- Ideological state appartus: Control peoples ideas, values and beliefs to keep the capitalist in power.
- Education preforms two functions as part of an ideological state apparatus the reproduction of class inequality and legitimation of class inequality.
Bowles and Gintis
- According to Bowles and Gintis 1976 capitalism needs workers with the kind of obedient attitude and submissive personality that is willing to accept hard work. They see the role of education reproducing this.
The correspondence principle
- According to Bowles and Gintis schooling takes place in a 'long shadow of work' The education relationships and structures found mirrors to those found in work.
- An example of this is hierarchy of authoritey.
The hidden curriculum
- This refers to all the 'lessons' within schools…