What happens as we go down a group?
What happens as we go across a period?
- More electrons are added to the atoms.
- More shells created.
- The outer electrons are shielded from the nucleus.
- Less attraction and it is easier to remove them
- Number of protons increases.
- Stronger positive charge in the nucleus.
- More attraction between nucleus and electrons.
- More energy needed to remove the electrons.
o Between Mg and Al, the IE decreases.
o The outer electron in Al is found in the 3p orbital.
o Slightly higher energy than 3s orbital (like Mg).
o Less energy is needed to remove the electron.
§ Between P and S, there is a drop.
§ In the 3p orbital of P, there is only one electron in each.
§ In the…