The aims and purpose of the league:
- It was president Wilson's idea.
- Another war was unthinkable, people needed methods of keeping peace.
- It was collective security
- The league was inserted as a conclusion in all peace treaties
- It was unsuccessful in ensuring the USA was a member.
- The aims were listed in its covenant:
- Achieve international peace.
- Encourage nations not to go to war.
- solve disputes peacefully
- encourage disarmament
- improve working and living conditions around the world.
These aims were to be achieved by collective security, nations would combine to impose the following sanctions:
- Diplomatic sanctions - tell the aggressor he was wrong.
- Economic sanctions - refuse to trade with the aggressor
- Military sanctions - a last resort, go to war together against the aggressor.
The organisation of the league:
- delegations from every member…