- Created by: joshlad
- Created on: 19-05-15 13:26
When was the Industrial Revolution?
The Industrial revolution occured at the end of the 18th century and the beginning of the 19th century. It began in Britain.
What was the Industrial Revolution?
It marked a time when rural societies became urban and industrial. During the IR there were a long list of inventions, scientific discoveries and new manufacturing processes.
Prior to the Industrial Revolution, manufacturing was often done in people’s homes, using hand tools or basic machines. Industrialization marked a shift to powered, special-purpose machinery, factories and mass production.
What were the main changes?
THINK: TOWNS TRANSPORT EDUCATION MEDICINE COMMUNICATION SCIENCE/INVENTION (The Tall Elephant's Mate Can Swim)
1) TOWNS There was a change from argriculture to industry - people moved off the farms and out of the country
2) TOWNS Towns grew - In 1750, only 15% of the population lived in the towns but this had increased to 85% by 1900
3) INVENTIONS There was a move from water and wind power to steam engines.
4) TRANSPORT There was a revolution in transport e.g. the train was invented (George Stephenson…