The Haber Process
The Haber process is an important industrial process. It produces ammonia which is used to make fertilisers.
Nitrogen and Hydrogen are needed to make Ammonia.
N2 (g) + 3H2 (g) <----> 2NH3 (g)
- Nitrogen is obtained from the air, which is 78% nitrogen (and 21% oxygen).
- Hydrogen is sourced from natural gas or from other sources like crude oil.
- These gases are purified before being used to make ammonia.
- The reaction is reversible, ammonia breaks down into hydrogen and nitrogen.
- The reaction reaches an equilibrium.
Pressure - 200 atmospheres
- Higher pressures favour the forward reaction, there are…