Baroque music (1600-1750) introduced several new ideas to western classical music:
- It used major and minor keys to write tonal music instead of atonal.
- Modulating was introduced. - could create good contrasts in music.
-new structures- eg. Binary, ternary, rondo and variation.
In Baroque music, there are recognisable features:
- The dynamics change suddenly - no gradual changes in volume- called terranced/stepped dynamics.
- Simple harmonies -mostly chords 1 and 5.
-Lots of of ornaments to make it more interesting.
- Texture is often contrapuntal (2 or more independent melodic lines)
- often had a continuo bass
- often played on organs, harpsichord, or more than one instrument, eg, chellos bassoons etc.
Baroque music later turned into classical music.
And the glory of the lord
Handel was a German composer- born 1685. he wrote lots of oratorios and operas.
The messiah, which the piece comes from, is a famous oratorio- only took him 3 weeks to compose. It was very popular-…