The Final Solution evolved because of the chaotic nature of the Nazi regime in the years 1939-42, how far do you agree..?
The creation of a racially pure Germany lay at the heart of Hitler's world view and vision for a New Germany. This vision led to the systematic mass murder of jews (and other minority races). However, there was never a set plan for the annihilation of Germany's Jews.
How did this 'social Darwinism', antisemetic view - evolve into the Holocaust?
- Central to Hitler's world view - destruction of the power of international Jewry,
- A military struggle to win the Aryan people's living space - Lebensraum.
- Hitler linked these two ideas together - believing that Russian Bolshevism and Judaism were linked - Hitler's main target during WW2 - was the destruction of the Soviet Union.
INTERNATIONAL JEWRY: The idea that there was a worldwide conspiracy of Jews who wished to take over the world and destroy the Aryan people.
LINKING OF COMMUNISM AND JUDAISM IS IMPORTANT - The Majority of German citizens in Germany during 1920's/30's were afraid of Bolshevism - Hitler managed to link the Jewish race to the Communist ideology which therby made the targeting of Jews more accepted amongst Germans.
- Hitler had not planned the holocaust however, he felt that the struggle between the Aryan race against international Jewry was inevitable and a cause which he took responsibility for.
- Radical policy was often uneven and a response to events.
1930's - Anti-semitism was limited by the need to ensure economic recovery for the Nazi's to maintain power in Germany.
1. PERSECUTION OF GERMANY'S JEWS. = policy to separate Jews further from society - alienate Jewish population in Germany.
The Nazi obsession with identifying who was a jew for purposes of persecution continued throughout the war. - often focusing on trivial issues.
- WW2 - led to a further tightening of restriction on Jews.
- 1939 - SEP - a curfew was introduced for all Jews.
- 1939 - SEP - Reinhard Heydrich ordered the concentration of Jews around railway junctions.
- 1939 - all radio sets were confiscated from Jews
- 1940 - JAN - all ration books belonging to Jews were stamped with 'J' (so jews could not claim goods that were barred from them e.g. leather)
- 1941 - SEP - All Jews had to wear the star of David on their clothing - failure to do so would lead to imprisonment.
- 1942 - NOV - Jews could no longer recieve the Reich sports medal...
- 1943 - APRIL - German Jews finally lost their German citizenship.
However - In the East - Mass murder had already begun.
2. TURNING POINTS
1939 SEPTEMBER. - The Advent of War
- The war provided the circumstances in which the central point of Hitler's ideology - the removal of Jews from society and the destruction of International Jewry - could take place.
- 1939 - Poland Captured = more jews under Nazi control.
- by the end of 1940 - Germany had captured: Holland, Belgium, France, Poland, Denmark, Norway, and Luxembourg = even more Jews…