WHY DID KENNEDY PUT MISSILES IN CUBA???
- Khrushchev wanted to produce more nuclear warheads and close the 'missile gap' between him and the USA
- the USA had missiles in western Europe and in turkey well within the range of the USSR. placing the missiles in Cuba would help restore the missile balance
- the USSR had more cheap medium range missiles than the USA and putting them in Cuba would be perfect
- soviet missiles in Cuba would strengthen his bargaining position with the USA
- Khrushchev had been very keen to defend Cuba it was the only communist country in the western hemisphere and had just survived the Bay of Pigs invasion
- it would…