The covenant - God's agreement to look after the Jews as his chosen people, subject to Israel's obedience
Israel - the ancient name for the Jewish People
What is a covenant?
- Understood as an agreement between two parties, which benefits each. Both parties to the agreement have to fulfil obligaitions or duties if the covenant is to be considered binding.
- A covenant, is a commitment of love and creates a relationships that is fundamentally different from that of a contract
- Covenants in Judaism can only be established and sealed by an oath
- The oath is so important in a covenant that the word oath is sometimes used as a synonym for covenant
- The covenant with God is described as as 'an everlasting covenant' (brit olam) - describes the vieww that God will never break his covenant with the Jewish people…