Shema - Jewish prayer affirming belief in the one God, found in the Torah
"Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is One"
- Opening line of the Shema, which is one of the most important prayers in Judaism
- Recited twice a day as part of the morning and evening service
- The importance of this prayer lies in the belief that it declares the most basic principle in Judaism - the belief in one God - monotheism
- Historically, monotheism was the way that Jews separated themselves from their neighbours who believed in a variety of gods, each of which controlled a different aspect of their lives, belief is known as polytheism
- From the belief of one God, Jews developed the idea that this belief affected the way they lived their lives
- So this one supreme God was not only…