Definition: An incarnation of God descended to earth to restore righteousness and defeat evil.
- Mainly associated with God seen as Vishnu of whom there are said to be 10 avatars.
- Matsya: The fish-avatar who saved Manu
- Kurma: The tortoise-avatar who helped in the Samudra manthan
- Varaha: The boar-avatar who rescued the earth from the ocean
- Narasimha: The half man-half lion avatar who killed the tyrant demon-king
- Vamana: The dwarf-avatar who subdued the king Maha Bali
- Parashurama: The sage with the axe who killed the thousand-armed king Kartavirya Arjuna
- Rama: The king of Ayodhya, and the hero of the Ramayana
- Krishna: The king of Dwarka
- Gautama Buddha
- Kalki: 'Eternity'…