Explanations of Abnormality- The Cognitive Approach
- The cognitive approach suggests that we are in control of our own behaviour as we are in control of our own thoughts.
- The approach assumes that our thinking, explanations and attitudes direct our behaviour.
- It suggests that mental illness is the result of inappropriate or disordered thinking or distorted thoughts.
- It operates on the conclusion that irrational/ faulty/ negative thoughts lead to irrational/ faulty/ negative behaviour.
- Blames the patient rather than situational factors- The cognitive model suggests that it is the patient who is responsible. This may lead one to overlook situational factors, for example not considering…