The Biological Approach
Biology : the study of life
Biological approach is relevant to psychology in three ways
(1) Physiology : Investigation of the brain, nervous system, and Hormones.
(2) Investigation of heritability : Understanding the role of Genes on behaviour.
(3) Comparative Method : Different species of animals are studies and compared to humans. this allows us to learn about Human behavour.
Basic Asummption of the Biological Approach
- Behaviour and thought processes have an innate biological basis
- The mind and the brain are the same
- Humans genes have evolved to adapt behaviour to the enviroment
- Human Charateristic are due to our Gentic make up
Influence of genes
The nucles contains 46 chromosomes
Chromosomes are made up DNA which carry unit of information called genes .
Research on the genetic influence of behaviour is usually conducted on animals such as rats and mice because they have a short gestation period. ( time in which a fetus develops)
Psychologist are able to manipulate…