Explanations of Abnormality- The Behavioural Approach
- The behavioural model focuses solely on behaviours.
- Abnormal behaviour could be either internal or external, but, because external behaviour is the easiest to observe, behaviourists tend to focus on the role of external events and behaviours.
- The model suggests that all behaviour, both normal and abnormal, is learned.
- It has devised the conclusion that abnormality is down to learned maladaptive behaviour.
- We can use the concept of the learning theory to explain some disorders that have major behvaioural characteristics.
- It suggests that learning environments may reinforce problematic behaviour.