The archaeology of Gender.
The Pazyryk Burials.
• An Iron Age culture of the Russian steppe.
• Primarily nomads who relied on horses for movement and trade.
• Over the last hundred years, a number of their burials have been discovered.
• The bodies and funerary goods are very well preserved on account of the permafrost.
Great case study, The Ice Maiden.
• Buried in the 5th Century BC in an elaborate wooden chamber tomb.
• Six horses had been sacrificed and buried alongside her.
• Her casket was hollowed…