OUTLINE OF APPROACH
- Mental Disorder Results from Psychological rather than Physical Causes
- Freud believed origins of mental disorder lie in unresolved conflicts in childhood... physical conflicts not disorders.
- Unresolved Conflicts cause Mental Disorder
- Conflicts between id, superego and ego create anxiety.
- Ego protects itself with various defence mechanism. Can be cause of disturbed behaviour if they are overused.
- Early Experiences cause Mental Disorder
- Ego not developed enough to deal with traumas, they are therefore repressed.
- Death of a parent in early life may repress associated feelings, later losses may cause the child to re-experience which can lead to depression.
- Unconscious Motivations cause Mental Disorder
- Ego defences; repression and regression, exert pressure through unconsciously motivated behaviour.
- Freud proposed unconscious exists of memories and other info; hard or almost impossible to bring into conscious…