ORIGINS OF THE COLD WAR
- The Cold War was a 'war' involving the USA and the USSR in which no direct fighting actually occured between the two countries, but tensions were very high.
- The USA and the USSR in 1945 were two very different countries with very different beliefs.
- USA = CAPITALIST
- USSR = COMMUNIST
Why did the alliance break down between the USSR, USA and the UK?
- Great Britain and USSR hated Germany.
- Germany defeated - no common enemy to fear.
- West intervened with Whites in Russian Civil War.
- The West ignored requests by Stalin for a union in the 1930s - hoping a war would take place between communist Russia and fascist Germany.
- Stalin felt the West delayed their role in the Eastern Front against Germany - leaving it up to Russia to do most of the fighting.
The Yalta Conference, February 1945
- By Feb 1945, it was clear Germany was losing…