- Created by: chezellee
- Created on: 18-02-19 11:24
- Initially two social orders; the patricians (landowners who occupied spheres of public affairs) and the plebeians (farmers, tradesman, etc).
- By the 4th century, the plebeians had gained more social authority so wealth was no longer a discriminator.
- With the growing empire there became a cheap supply of slaves which meant that there were fewer jobs for the poor.
- It became easy for political leaders to gain support from the masses of poor by promising them what they wanted.
- There was a rise in the equites (a faction of businessmen that reaped the financial benefits of the empire), who became a rich powerful force. They got involved in the parts of politics that senators could not be involved in (due to the lex claudia)
- Strong belief in mas maoirum (the way of the ancestors).
- Tiberius and Gaius Gracchus, who attempted to make things better for the people during the 130s-120s. Both assassinated.
- Tiberius Gracchus notably tried to change the distribution of…