- Created by: Joanna Moss
- Created on: 02-04-15 23:00
Aim: to extinguish the conditioned association between fear and the situation or object. (Counter-conditioning)
In the case of a phobia, conditioning can be altered. If you can learn a behviour you can "un-learn" it. It can be attempted to subsitute a mal-adaptive response with a new response.
1) The first thing is teach the client deep relaxation techniques. (muscle-relaxing, breathing)
2) The therapist and client construct a desensitisation hierarchy - imagined scenes that would cause anxiety.
E.g. Fear of heights (Acrophobia)
1. Standing on a window and looking out
2. Standing on a stepladder to change a light-bulb
3. Standing on a balcony
4. Climbing a…