- Created by: coffee11
- Created on: 21-01-19 19:49
‘opens up new levels of reality otherwise closed to us’
· Verbal language can’t express God in any way- finite human brain trying to describe an infinite God.
· Symbols talk about God in a non-literal way.
· Signs deal with facts and symbols transcend facts and express deeper emotions.
· Non- religious symbols= trivial compared to God
· ‘ground of being’ = God
· The cross symbolises Jesus’s redemption for all humanity- more than just a wooden cross
· Subtle modes of communication belonging to a high level of religious language
· Open up levels of religious reality which otherwise would be unattainable
· Religious symbols are regarded as non-cognitive (un-factual)
· Serve an understanding beyond fact
· Doesn’t attempt to make assertions that can be…