Case Study - Sustainable Cities (Urban Environments) - Curitiba in Southern Brazil
- Curitiba has a population of 1.8M
- The aim of its city planners is to 1) improve the environment; 2) reduce pollution and waste and 3) improve the residents' quality of life.
- It has a budget of $600M every year to spend on sustainability
Curitiba has introduced a number of measures to ensure sustainability:
Reducing car use
- There is a good bus system used by 1.4 million people every day
- The same cheap fare is paid for all journeys which benefits the poorer residents who tend to leave on the outskirts.
- There are over 200 km of bike paths.
- The bus and bike systems…