The Soviet Empire
The Hungarian uprising 1956
- Repeated protest and riots led to a reformist government led by Imre Nagy.
- Major political reforms were planned, including the withdrawal of Hungary from the Warsaw Pact.
- The Soviets invaded Hungary and brutally crushed the rebellion.
- Nagy was shot, and a new pro-Soviet government was set up.
The Berlin Wall 1961
- The high standard of living in West Berlin contrasted with the hardship in the East.
- Between 1945 and 1960 3 million people had fled from East to West Berlin.
- As this threatened the existence of the East German state, a wall was erected…
Similar History resources: