Structure of the seed
- The broad bean is classed as a dicotyledon, as it has two seed leaves.
- Food store is absorbed into the cotyledons.
- Maize is a monocotyledon,as it has only one seed leaf.
- Food store surrounds the seed leaves.
Germination of Broad Bean (Vicia Faba)
Dormancy: a period when active growth is suspended. Germination will occur when specific conditions are met.
After a period of dormancy, and with a favorable environment, food stores will be mobilised and the seed will germinate.
- A suitable temperature: enzymes need the optimum temperature, this varies from species to species.