Streching and Squashing
- An ELASTIC OBJECT regains its original shape when the forces deforming it are removed.
- type of energy: ELASTIC POTENTIAL ENERGY
- eg when a spring is streched- WORK HAS BEEN DONE on it- this transfers energy to the object (in this case the spring) and the enegy is elastic potential energy. to release this energy, we have to remove the forces deforming it so it can then return to its ORIGINAL SHAPE- then some of this energy can be transerred into kinetic energy (movement)
- the INCREASE OF LENGTH from the original = EXTENSION.
extension of strip of material at any stage= length at the stage -- original length
- the EXTENSION of a spring is DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL TO THE FORCE…