Stress is a response to stimuli in the environment
- It can be the environmental stimulus that triggers a stress response
- Or a response to the stimulus
- 'The response that occurs when we think we can't cope with the pressures in our environment'
- This is due to personal judgement therefore ability to cope can be over/under estimated.
The hypothalamus is the bit of the brain that responds to stress
The evaluation of whether something is a stressor occurs in - the cerebral cortex.
When there is a stressor in the environment, it sends a signal to the hypothalamus. This then triggers two processes.
- In the initial shock response, the hypothalamus triggers activity in the…