why do we need statutory interpretations?
- Words very often have more than one meaning i.e. they can be ambiguous
- A broad term may be used in a statute which can give rise to confusion and uncertainty
- There may be errors or omissions when the statute is drafted
- New developments in society can make the words used in a statute out of date and they may no longer cover the current situation
- Words are an imperfect means of communication
The Literal Rule This uses the plain, ordinary, literal, grammatical meaning of the words in the statute. Whittley v Chappell (1868) Where…