- Created by: joy.yuma
- Created on: 10-04-18 13:03
Green and Ward (2012) - define state crime as 'illegal or deviant activities perpetrated by, or with the complicity of, state agencies.'
Why could it be deemed the most serious form of crime ?
1) The scale of state crime
The state has enormous power which gives it the potential to inflict harm on a huge scale.
2) The state = source of law
- Can conceal its crimes and evade punishment
- Undermines the system of justice and public faith in it
McLaughin (2012) : 4 categories of state crime
- Political e.g censorship
- Crimes by security and police forces e.g genocide, torture
- Economic crimes e.g violations of health and safety laws
- Social and cultural crimes e.g institutional racism
Case studies :
Genocide in Rwanda
- Illegal wars - e.g US-led wars on terror in Iraq
- Crimes committed during war or its aftermath e.g torture…