The Industrial Revolution created many changes to the standards of living of the British people. Here are a few of them:
- The factory owners gained wealth in this time period and created a new social class because of this wealth.
- Because of this extra wealth, the middle classes felt that they deserved a greater say in what went on in politics.
- This created radical ideas such as civil rights for all. In the 1780s, only 3% of the British population had a vote- which created the problem of rotten boroughs
- Broadened the rich poor divide
Destruction of 'Cottage Industries'
- 'Cottage Industries' were small businesses that were run from a farmers house. Often they were run by women to introduce some extra income to the household. The products made were nearly all textile based.
- When industrialistaion came into being, these industries were destroyed as the factories could make the same products quicker, cheaper and with less chance of any mishaps.
- Factory workers were paid more than the cottage labourers and…