The function of mitosis is to increase the number of cells that are genetically identical to the parent cell.
Mitosis occurs during growth,asexual reproduction and tissue repair.
Interphase - when a cell is not dividing
- Newly formed cell increases in size
- Produces organelles, e.g. mitochondria.
- The amount of DNA is doubled.
- all ATP made for mitosis.
- Choromosomes replicate
- Each chromosome consistes of two chromotids joined together by the centromere.
- Chromosomes are not visable because the chromatin is dispersed throughout the nucleus.
- The chromosomes condense (shorten and become thicker) and become visable as long thin threads.
- In celles where centrioles are present the centrioles divide and move to opposite ends of the cells.
- Protein microtubules form from each centriole and the spindle developes, extending from pole…