- Sound waves are caused by vibrating objects, these mechanical vibrations are passed through the surrounding medium as a series of compressions - longitudinal waves
- Sometimes the sound will eventually reach someone's eardrum
- Because sound waves are caused by vibrating particles, the denser the medium, the faster sound travels
- Sound generally travels faster in solids than liquids and faster in liquids than gases
Sound waves can reflect and refract...
- Sound waves will be reflected by hard flat surfaces, things like carpets and curtains absorb sound waves
- Sound waves also refract as they enter different media, as they enter dense materials they speed up
The frequency of a wave is the number…