Rise to Power:
- Lord Admiral and Leuitenant 1544-45.
- Knighthood service in France 1523.
- Sister married HVIII 1536.
- Council system needs a leader, Somerset steps forward.
- Custody of HVIII's will, kept death secret for 4 days.
- Best way to preserve Royal Supremacy.
- Reformers hoped for religious reform.
- New Kings Uncle.
- Chancellor says it's for 'the better conduct of business'.
- Becomes Lord Protector.
- Undisputed ruler fo the country.
- Appoint/Dismiss Privy Council.
- In 1549 Somerset didn't want to lose the Scottish border lands but hard to deal with peasant uprsings.
- It was difficult to maintain Scottish campaign because Somerset was reluctant to leave London in case French attacked, and it was also…