Primary Education is the first stage of education ages 4-11 have to attend.
Seondary Education is the education after primary school, the final stage of complusary education. Ages 11-16.
Futher Education is the type of education followed by secondary education for aged 16-18 year olds. It is not compulsary. Normally Colleges.
Higher Education is the last stage of education before getting a job. (Universities and academies)
Public School A top private school, charges fees.
Independent School is a private school,still charges fees, just not a top school in Britain.
State School is an average school they follow the national curriculum.
Faith School a school teaching general curriculum but which has a religious character.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Public and state schools.
- More facilities
- Better standard of education
- Looks better on cv
- More chance of a better uni
- More oppertunities.
- Shaped to be like a public speaker.
- A lot of pressure on the child
- Not realistic.
- No fees
- Socialised with different people
- Not as good standard of education
- Not as good facilities
- Not as likely chance of getting into uni.
In 1870 The forster act made it compulsary for all children to be in education until the age of 10.
The upper class went to Public, middle class, private, working class, state.
Meritocratic/metriocracy this is when the success is determined by someones ability/talent and not their social backgroud.
The butler act,
This was the 11+ test.
If passed, went to grammar school, did the equivelent to gcses.
If failed, went to a secondary modern, were children studied less academic subjects, and did exams that were lower than gcses. or, could have attended a technical school, if you could do techincal skills, such as woodwork etc. This was less common.
The problems were,
- Still wasnt fair.
- middle class were still more likely to get into grammar school
- Boys could get lower marks than girls.
- Upset or happy, if failed or passed.
1965 Comprehensive act,
- 11+ was scrapped
- new schools were created (secondary modern and grammar were merged)
- Everyone was in the same school.
This is industary related…