- Function 1- (Durkheim) Transmits culture and history to form a sense of belonging, increases social solidarity.
- Evaluation-Marxists argue education instills ruling class views not shared norms and values.
- Function 2- (Durkheim) Teaches specalist skills needed in modern societies with a complex division of labour.
- Evaluation-New right claim education fails to prepare young people for work.
- Function 3- (Parsons) Education acts as a bridge from family (ascribed status/particularistic values) to wider society (achieved status/universalistic standards) Schools apply impersonal rules which we must all follow, education is based on meritocracy.
- Evaluation-Marxists myth of meritocracy.
- Function 4- (Davis and Moore) Education performs role allocation,…